Everything You Need To Know About Sparklers
Since the trend of using sparklers on Fifth of November, people have discovered a way, to spice up the other festivities and special events, like weddings, by use of the sparklers, for a mesmerizing time and a memorable experience. Sparklers are minimalistic, hand-held fireworks, which burn and emit colourful flames in the air. Not only do they add beauty to an event but is also considered to be a fun activity for adults, as well as children. Let's go into the details of the sparklers to assist you, for the next time you organize any event.
WHERE ARE SPARKLERS MADE?
- Sparklers are basically fireworks, minimized to a level, to be held by a single hand. But, have you ever wondered who makes them, and where are they manufactured? The answer is quite simple. The companies who are successful in the firework industry manufactures them. They already excel in producing big fireworks so, it is not a big deal for them to manufacture these fiery sticks. For instance, the company, 'Standard Fireworks', specializes in fireworks, as well as sparklers.
WHAT SPARKLERS ARE MADE OF?
- It is a fun fact to know what ingredients make the sparklers, There are three magic components responsible for it. Some kind of metal fuel, oxidizer and a binder altogether make the sparklers glow brightly in the air.
WHAT MAKES SPARKLERS BURN?
- An oxidizer plays a major role in the burning of the sparklers. Upon heating, the oxidizer decomposes and also produces oxygen as one of the products during decomposition. The other by-products eject pieces of the burning powdered metal from the fiery stick. Hence, causing the burning effect. Burning fiercely produces metal oxides.
WHAT MAKES SPARKLERS DIFFERENT COLOURS?
- The sticks of the sparklers are coated with a basic pyrotechnic mixture. The secret behind making coloured sparklers lies within the types of oxidizers used in them. For instance, sparklers that give off red flames use strontium nitrate as an oxidizer. While, green sparklers use potassium chlorate, to give off green sparklers. Purple sparklers use potassium nitrate.
WHEN WERE SPARKLERS INVENTED?
- Curious to know when were these glittery fiery sticks invented? Well, Callinicos, a citizen of Heliopolis invented the first sparkler, known as 'Cherosiphon'. This invention was actually used, as a weapon against the approaching enemy ships at that time. It was called 'Greek fire'. Later on, it was used in festivities and special occasions. It was then used, to signify an important event.
ARE SPARKLERS FIREWORKS?
- Considering the size of them, can they be referred to as fireworks? They are considered as novelties and thus, they do not fall under the category of fireworks, technically. But, they are inspected under the same laws and regulation as of fireworks, so without being dubious, they are fireworks.
ARE SPARKLERS DANGEROUS?
- In terms of accident statistics, they are the most dangerous fireworks. Simply because, the precautions to handle them, are taken for granted. Other than that, it is the main cause of serious burn injuries to younger children. This makes them hazardous and poisonous for the children. Hence, they are not safe. They can cause as serious burn injuries as big fireworks can.
ARE SPARKLERS BAD FOR THE ENVIRONMENT?
- Sparklers are pretty pollutants. They can lead to substantial air pollution. We pay a hefty price to see them glow brightly in the air. Sparklers' smoke contains thousands of small metal particles. They contain barium, manganese and other elements, which are toxic for humans. By lighting them up, these elements release in the air, causing air pollution which affects our overall health.
ARE SPARKLERS SAFE?
- Sparklers are definitely not safe, especially considering the well-being of the children. They burn at 1800 degrees. The temperature capable enough, to melt metals. The children can burn themselves unintentionally. Moreover, burning sparklers indoors can raise the risk of fire. They give off scorch flames, which can lead to starting a fire in the house.
ARE SPARKLERS ILLEGAL?
- Sparklers fall under the category of consumer fireworks. It means that they are purposely for the general public. They are low in explosion and noise but still, some countries have banned the use of sparklers, as well as fireworks. For instance, they are illegal in the United States, although they are novelties. But still, they allow some low-grade fireworks, such as party poppers, party bombs, snaps or flying lanterns.
ARE SPARKLERS TOXIC?
- Sparklers include aluminium, titanium and iron along with toxic chemical such as potassium nitrate, barium or strontium nitrate, as oxidizers. They emit tiny metal particles while burning. Thus, proving to be toxic for us. For instance, even using low-grade sparklers on a cake can be harmful to the children as well as adults. Younger children can put them in the mouth unconsciously, which can lead to severe health conditions.
ARE SPARKLERS THERMITE?
- The sticks of the sparklers are coated with a pyrotechnic composition known as 'Thermite', which is responsible to act as a fuel in the burning process. So yes, sparklers are thermite-positive. Apart from that, it is also responsible for the redox reaction during the sparkling effect. Thermite is basically a metal powder, which burns along with the oxidizer in the sparklers, to burn brightly.
CAN SPARKLERS EXPIRE?
- Sparklers do have an expiration date but the normal sparklers can last up to years if they are stored in a cool and dry place. Because, if they are stored for a long time, the metal in them rusts in the meantime, causing the sparklers to be useless. If the metal powder inside them rusts, they would not burn or would not burn smoothly.
CAN SPARKLERS START A FIRE?
- National Council of Fireworks Safety issued a paper declaring that sparklers cause serious burn injuries as well as to have the potential to start a fire indoors as well as outdoors. They can ignite the things which are flammable, in They can also start a fire, by igniting household appliances and products such as curtains, sofas or hardwood furniture.
CAN SPARKLERS BURN UNDERWATER?
- Sparklers can burn underwater. They contain oxidizers such as potassium nitrate and potassium perchlorate. Instead of getting oxygen from the air, they give off oxygen when decomposing, eliminating the need for external Hence, they are able to burn also, where oxygen is absent. There are many tutorials on the internet on how to burn sparklers underwater using tapes.
CAN SPARKLERS BE USED INDOORS?
- Hand-held sparklers are low-grade consumer fireworks, that can be burnt by holding them in the hands. We can also make patterns in the air by swift hand movements. Being less explosive, sparklers can be used indoors. But, there is a high risk of starting a fire, as many things are flammable indoors and can also cause suffocation and difficulty in breathing due to the emission of toxic gases.
CAN SPARKLERS BURN YOU?
- Sparklers are responsible for causing 30% injuries to the children on the Fifth of November. They burn at reasonably high temperatures and touching the flames, may cause a serious burn on the body. They can also harm the face by emitting scorch sparks. Apart from that, even bystanders can get hurt by the sparklers. Not taking precautions and running around with sparklers can cause injuries to the people around you.
CAN SPARKLERS BE TAKEN ON A PLANE?
- Sparklers are referred to as hazardous in many countries. Whether it be hand-held sparklers or fireworks, they cannot be taken on a plane or a ship. No matter where you put them, in your checked bag or carry-on bag, they are not approved to be taken on the plane. To add with, it is prohibited to ship them via air mail. They can only be availed via ground shipping.
CAN SPARKLERS EXPLODE?
- If sparklers are used one at a time, and that too of fine quality, they do not explode and burn smoothly but if multiple sparklers are used to create a sparkler bomb, then the bomb has a higher risk to explode and causes severe burn injuries. This is why making a sparkler bomb is highly discouraged by the laws.
CAN YOU BUY SPARKLERS ONLINE?
- The answer is yes. as they are considered novelties, they can be bought online. A lot of websites are selling the sparklers online and people prefer to buy them online for their convenience. But mind you, they take time to arrive as they are not approved to be shipped by air or by water. They can only be shipped via ground. Therefore, it is better to buy a few weeks earlier, before any special occasion.
WHEN TO BUY SPARKLERS?
- If you want to light up sparklers on Fifth of November or on any national holiday, and you have thought to buy them online, order them at least 3 weeks before, as they take time to arrive. If you are ordering sparklers for your wedding, then it is recommended to buy the sparklers at least 1-2 months before the date. There are many national holidays and festivities on which people buy sparklers. but, the most significant days to buy them are the Fifth of November and on New Year's evening.
SPARKLERS- WHERE TO BUY?
- Sparklers are not challenging to find. They can be bought online, and locally too. You can order them online, from a bulk range of sparklers and receive them at your doorstep. or, you can walk down to any retail shop to grab yourself some sparklers.
WHERE TO BUY SPARKLERS IN UNITED KINGDOM?
- Now, there are two ways to buy sparklers in the United Kingdom. First one is to buy them online. There are various national companies, supplying the sparklers through ordering online. You can choose from the variety of sparklers and off you go. But, the second option is to explore local shops. There are many fireworks shops, which provide you with a vast range of sparklers.
SPARKLERS-WHERE TO BUY THEM?
- Sparklers can also be bought online, internationally. There are successful chains of fireworks that are selling sparklers on an international level. You simply order them through their official website.
WHERE ARE SPARKLERS SOLD?
- There are numerous places which sell sparklers. From a local shop around the corner, a to the big wholesale market, sparklers can be found, almost anywhere. They are novelties and can be retailed from any shop. Sparklers are also sold online. Actually, there is more sale of sparklers online, than selling them on the shops.
WHERE TO BUY SPARKLERS ONLINE?
- There are numerous local and international brands which are selling the sparklers online. They also provide a wide range of sparklers to choose from, because of more audience and customers, on the net. Some popular retailer websites such as sparklers.co.uk, have also started selling sparklers due to huge demand, from the customers.
CAN SPARKLERS BURN OUT?
- Sparklers have a short life span. This is merely due to the fact that the powdered metal is coated only on the stick of the sparklers. This allows them to burn not more than 1 min 45 seconds, After that they burn out. Moreover, it is impossible to re-light the sparklers, once all of the powdered metal is consumed.
HOW SPARKLERS ARE MADE?
- Sparklers consist of three main components, which help them to light up. One is fuel. The other is the oxidizer and the third element is the binder. Most commonly used fuel, is charcoal with sulfur. Potassium nitrate is used in almost all of the sparklers. Sugar or starch is used as a binder.
HOW SPARKLERS WORK?
- The three ingredients that are, the fuel, the oxidizer and the binder are mixed together with the help of the water to form a slurry, that can be coated easily on the stick by a dipping process. Once it dries, the sparklers are ready to be burnt. It burns from the top-end and goes to the other end, emitting colourful flames. The fuel and the oxidizer are proportioned so that the sparklers do not explode.
This detailed information and facts about the sparklers were all that you ever needed to know about them. From their invention to their production, every detail is mentioned for your assistance and guidance. If you are interested in buying sparklers then please see our home page: sparklers.co.uk